Sharing the Yum: Chocolate Chai Granola with Cranberries
Have you ever stumbled upon a food craving that seemed like it could possibly be a bad idea, but was worth the risk? Things that involve the logic of "well I like these things separately, so they must be good mixed together" can get really, really dangerous. Luckily for me, thinking to myself that the combination of dark chocolate, chai tea, and chewy cranberries would be delicious really worked out.
I'll admit, this recipe is the product of a "use whatever is in the pantry" type of morning. I wanted granola, and I wanted it bad. I didn't care what went into it, but I had partial jars of cocoa nibs and chocolate chips and cranberries to use up. In the end, there was just enough of everything to make this batch of granola the dark, heavenly perfection it became.
There are certain things in life that are unquestionably cozy. This yummy combination of chai spices, chocolate, and chewy cranberries is definitely one of them.
Cranberry Chai Chocolate Granola
(Yield: 8 cups/12 servings)
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup puffed millet or quinoa
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup dried red lentils
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp flax seeds
- 2 tbsp dutch cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/8 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup cocoa nibs
- Optional: 1/4 cup chopped candied ginger
- Preheat oven to 300F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine dry ingredients in a very large bowl. Combine wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add wet to dry, stirring until evenly coated. (This part gets messy!)
- Spread onto lined baking sheets in an even layer. Bake for ten minutes then remove from oven and stir in chocolate chips. Bake another ten minutes or until chocolate chips start melting.
- Remove from oven and stir the melted chocolate chips until the granola is coated in chocolatey goodness. Stir in cranberries and cocoa nibs (and ginger, if using). Let cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to two months.
- Serve about 3/4 cup of granola with cold dairy or non-dairy milk.