December Goals Recap & Ringing in the New Year
Happy New Year!
Here is my updated goals list, with final progress updates. (for full descriptions/rationale behind the goals, click here for the original post).
I loved simplifying so much, that I decided not to make a 2015 goals list. It's much more forgiving. I need more flexibility in my life. I will be joining in on a couple of challenges for select months/years, but nothing as onerous as what I put myself up to last year.
The theme for December's Choose Your Own Adventure linkup was simplify. Here are my goals, and here is my recap.
My December Simplification results: 100% success!!!
- For the holidays: This needs major paring down. Every year, I make my own stocking stuffers and at least half of my gifts. There are a lot of kids in my family, and we also usually do at least one group gift for a parent. Coordinating a group gift gets to be a headache, frankly, so I plan to avoid that like the plague if it comes up. I also think I will experiment with this foreign concept of buying instead of making all of my stocking stuffers. Also--- gift cards? I have never ever given one before. Maybe now is the time.100% Success:Christmas was kind of a breeze this year. My fella made everyone a box of Christmas baking, and we paired it with a gift card to a local breakfast place. Babies each got one toy and a gift card to Chapters, and the bigger munchkins got a stack of books. And instead of homemade stocking stuffers, I hooked everyone up with a sample sized Monkey Butter. Bam. Apparently grouping entire households together makes Christmas super easy to accomplish.
- Around the house: I know this is bold, but I don't want to overthink the house over the holidays. I think if I can not start a new house related project in December, we are good on this front. I might not even bust out the Christmas tree this year. Holiday spirit to me is more about the smell of comfort foods than twinkling lights or glitter making its way from room to room. If simplifying the home decor means more time spent experimenting with holiday recipes, then I am absolutely down with that.100% Success:
I decorated two spots in my house---using leftover decor from the aforementioned baby shower. It was lazy and sparkly and did the trick. Also, GNOME.
- 2014 Goals Completion: After thinking about it, I realize that I made too many goals last year in the first place. Out of fairness to myself, I'm going to reprioritize what's left on the goals list and consider anything ditched a success overall. Because sometimes, accepting that something is not important and letting it go is a success in and of itself. I'll be posting about that soon. (Yeah yeah... I know I'm unreliable with "soon" as a timeline)100 % Success:
As you read above, this one was as simple as deciding what to ditch on my goals list. Success! It felt good to let go of the "I should be doing X, Y, or Z right now" guilt. I even got to sit around lazily playing SimCity for a bit over the holidays with my free guiltless time. Hoorah!
Overall, I think operation Simplify was pretty successful--and should probably carry over into the rest of my life.
Now for January's theme--- "Complete". It's time to get something big off of the to-do list. Scratch it off forever. Finally get whatever it is that is nagging at me out of the way and off of my mind.
Good golly! This is a lot of pressure for a girl with a million to-do lists. So. Since I still have some of the Simplify December energy flowing through me, I will keep this short and sweet. Here are my January "Complete" goals:
- Complete...my craft room blog post!Yeah. I don't blame you for not believing that this one will get done. Here is a link to the "Before" post I haven't posted the "after" for.
- Complete...my guest room blog post!Or perhaps I'll call it the reading room. I still think that sounds fancier. Either way, that blog post is overdue. Here's a peek at the before.
- Complete...one important room in the house.
My fella got me a gorgeous chalkboard for my home office, that is small enough that he set guidelines for its use: Only three major projects are allowed on this board at one time. And only once all of the projects are completed am I allowed to add anything new. Top of the list? A room project I haven't mentioned yet, and am keeping a secret. All I can tell you is that it is going to be awesome, and it doesn't involve anyone being pregnant.
I'll be posting my January updates at the beginning of February, and linking up on Not Entirely Perfect, Life According to Steph, and Keeping up with Ashley and Cody blogs. February's theme is "Create" and is a make-work type goal. Right up my alley.